"The person who gets the farthest is generally the one who is willing to do and dare. The sure-thing boat never gets far from shore."-Dale Carnegie

Monday, September 20, 2010

Nings!!!

I think that Nings are a really interesting resource to have: they are a social networking site like Facebook or MySpace, but can be made private for educational purposes. A Ning allows people to post things like comments, pictures or videos and then other members of the group can comment on those posts or make new posts in reaction. I think this tool could be very useful in the classroom, although I must admit that I am a bit dismayed that you have to pay now to create a Ning.

  Nings That I Belong To:
- UB ENGLISH EDUCATION
The first Ning that I belong to is the UB English Education Ning. This Ning was a really good resource for keeping in touch with other preservice and current English Teachers. It was a good site to share ideas, lesson plans, videos, etc. with other colleagues in the program. Unfortunately, this Ning is not currently available because of the fee associated with it.

-ENGLISH IDEAS
This Ning is a site for English Teachers. Again, this Ning was designed to help English teachers share lesson plans, ideas, job postings, etc. I think this Ning will be very useful when I am teaching English and need a lesson plan idea, or perhaps feedback on a lesson I am thinking of teaching. Its always helpful to have a support-group of sorts, and this Ning is very useful for that purpose.

1 comment:

  1. Brooke,

    Ning has changed its pricing plan a lot lately, but check out this link that allows k-121 and higher ed sites to still be free. The sites are called Ning Mini.
    http://about.ning.com/pearsonsponsorship/
    Dr. Burgos

    ReplyDelete