"The person who gets the farthest is generally the one who is willing to do and dare. The sure-thing boat never gets far from shore."-Dale Carnegie

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Using Blogs in the Classroom

       I think that bogs could be an extremely useful tool in the classroom for several reasons. First, I think blogs can be used to help shy students open up and really express themselves. I highly value student-led discussion, but sometimes establishing discussions can be difficult because students feel shy, nervous or guarded about sharing their opinions.  I think that a blog can open up avenues for those students that are too shy to speak in front of the class because they can feel much safer expressing those opinons online. By using a blog, students could feel more safe because they don't have to physically voice their opinions in front of 30 students in a classroom, rather, there is a certain distance there that allows students to feel more confident about sharing their responses. Also, when writing on a blog, students have more time to formulate their responses than they usually do when participating in a class discussion. They have the choice to draft, revise and edit their work before putting their response out for the rest of the class to view, so they also have that safety in knowing that they can have a chance to perfect their response first.
        I also believe that using blogs can help to create a strong, safe classroom community, where all members feel that their opinons are important. Although I believe it is necessary to set some ground rules with the students and make it clear that cyber-bullying will not be tolerated, I think that by asking the students to read and respond to each other's ideas and work online, the students can form a closer group, a learning community. By showing the students how to respond to one another's ideas respecfully, the students can learn to interact with their peers and to give constructive criticism, without demeaning their classmates. I think that this is always an important skill to have, but especially in the secondary schools, where socialization is so important to the students.
        Another way that I think blogs could be used is (as Richardson says) a "Class Portal." Richardson describes the "class portal" as a way to help teachers“publish the course curriculum, syllabus, class rules, homework assignments, rubrics, handouts, and presentations.” (Richardson, 21.) I think this could be a significant tool because students would have online access to any information they would need about a class. This way, if a student got home from school and realized that he forgot his homework in his locker, he could log in to the portal and see exactly what he needed to do for homework that night. This could solve a lot of issues in the classroom and it could also help to prevent the "I forgot my homework" excuse (although I'm sure students would come up with something new, like "I forgot my portal password", "I lost my computer", or "my dog ate my blog.")
        Last, but not least, I think that blogs can be a useful tool in the classroom (or outside of the classroom) because it allows for students to extend their discussions outside of the classroom walls. Many times, teachers have so many good ideas and there are so many things that we want to discuss with our students, but there just isn't time. With a blog, you could have some of those discussions outside of class on the class blog so the students are creating meaningful learning at home, just as they would be with an authentic discussion inside the classroom.
     I think that in an English Language Arts classroom, a blog would help teachers to reach all of the NYS standards. The standards are as follows:
Standard 1: Students will read, write, listen, and speak for information and understanding.
Standard 2: Students will read, write, listen, and speak for literary response and expression.
Standard 3: Students will read, write, listen, and speak for critical analysis and evaluation.
Standard 4: Students will read, write, listen, and speak for social interaction.
When using a blog, the students will most definitely be working for information and understanding as they create ideas and learning together on the internet. It can also be used to help with literary response and expression because students can be asked to respond to a piece of literature and to express their opinions on the blog. They could also work to analyze a piece of literature and to evaluate their classmates' work so in that way, a blog could help to reach Standard 3. Standard 4 is probably the most likely to be reached with a classroom blog because blogging with classmates is all about social interaction.

5 comments:

  1. Brooke, I agree that blogs can create an environment where everyone feels they belong. It really does seem like a great tool for classroom discussion. The part about the "dog eating my homework" made me laugh. You are so right, they would come up with many more excuses Im sure. Do you think we are in a world yet where we can assign homework via a blog? What about the kids that don't have computers or internet at home yet? These are just some of the things I started to consider after posting this blog. I was curious to hear your thoughts. Have you ever used a blog in a classroom before? I am very excited to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not tried a blog personally, but I have heard of several colleagues that have. I think that you could assign a blog assignment if you give the students enough time to get access to a computer, i.e. a school computer, if they do not have a personal computer to use at home. I think that the way that I've heard it done is by having a blog assignment due once a week so the students had plenty of time to think about the assignment and to find a way to complete it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Brooke,

    I agree with you that blogs are a great way to provide all students an opportunity to share and get feedback. It also prepares students to write for an audience that will be critically consuming their work, which hopefully enhances the reflection and construction that goes into writing for the blog.

    Another point that was really interesting was when you said that blogs, "extend their discussions outside of the classroom walls". Not only will students be able to engage each other outside of the classroom, but additional web based resources can be incorporated into the discussion easily, making for a much richer discourse.

    Thanks for the ELA perspective too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice discussion. I thought I had commented on your blog earlier, but maybe it was when I kept getting an error message because the comment feature on Blogger was down. :-(
    Dr. Burgos

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brooke you are spot on about students sometimes not sharing as much as they could in the classroom for various reasons, and using blogger is a great way to allow this to change. You point out that the draft option is a great tool, and I can see how students could create and then revise thoughts, or ideas before submitting them. I am really looking forward to going back into the classroom after this fall and I will establish a blogger for after class discussion that you suggested. So many students do homework and have questions and/or comments and it would be nice to share with them when those ideas are still fresh.

    ReplyDelete