"The person who gets the farthest is generally the one who is willing to do and dare. The sure-thing boat never gets far from shore."-Dale Carnegie

Monday, September 13, 2010

Not a fad...

I watched several of the videos listed on our course syllabus, but the two that struck me the most were "Social Media Revolution 2" and "Did You Know?" These videos, in my opinion, carried a strong message about the way our world is shifting. I really liked the facts that these videos provided, proving to the audience that social media and online social networking sites are the fastest growing communication tools in the world. I thought it was amazing that it only took 9 MONTHS to have over 1 billion IPod Application downloads! Wow! As amazing or startling as these facts are, I think it is important for educators to realize that social-media and online discourse is NOT a fad, but rather a "fundamental shift in the way we communicate" (Social Media Revolution 2.) The sooner that we realize this, the faster we can adapt our education to utilize these websites and online forums, which our students in the current and upcoming generations are so immersed in. If we have all of this great technology at our fingertips, why not use it???

2 comments:

  1. Yes, just as use of the Internet is not a fad, neither are its social media tools. Personally, I have put off learning much about Facebook, but I can see that it is becoming an important tool in education and business as well as social relations, so now it's at the top of my "To Do" list.
    Dr. Burgos

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually used Facebook in one of my class projects during student teaching and my students loved it! They created profiles for different characters in the book we were reading and had to interact (in character) with the other groups via Facebook. The students learned a lot about their characters this way and they had a great time doing it! :)

    ReplyDelete